>>Home >>Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs<<
Print page


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why should I book my course through 123-English?
We can advise you independently and objectively about your choice of school and course as well as making the booking process easier for you. In some cases, we can even reduce (total) expenses for your course.

Q: What is the course content?
A: This depends on the individual course. However, all centres will provide a balanced course that includes practice of all the basic skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing including correct use of grammar and style.

Q: What's my level?
A: As a guide try the 123-English level test. Normally, you will do a level test on the first day of your course to check your level and to make sure you go into the right class level.
Do the 123 Test here.

Q: How much in advance should I book my course?
A: Generally we recommend you to book your course at least two months before you intend to start. If you need a visa to travel to Britain you should book your course sooner (see FAQ below about visas).

Q: Where will I live whilst I'm doing my course?
A: Most centres organise accommodation for you with Host Families, though you may want the centre to reserve you alternative accommodation like a hotel, bed & breakfast or university residencial accommodation.

Q: Are the Host Family houses inspected?
A: Yes. All British Council accredited centres have an obligation to consider the welfare of the student whilst doing their course. This includes the standard of the accommodation they offer. Most schools have one person whose job it is to organise and inspect the houses and interview the families to ensure that standards are met.

Visas & Working in the UK:
Q: Do I need a visa?
A: As this depends on various factors (your nationality, country you are travelling from, etc), we recommend you visit the UK Government "UKvisas" site to answer this question.

Q: Can I work whilst I'm in the UK?
A: If you are a European Union citizen you can work in the UK though you will have to register to get a Social Security number.

Q: Do you charge for your services?
A: No. Our course booking service is free. As agents of the centres we represent, we receive a small commission from the centre.

Q: Will I pay more for my course if I book it through 123-English?
A: No. In fact, it could cost you less! You will be charged the same amount for your English course as if you booked your course directly with each centre. What's more, you might save on the costs involved with international telephone calls, faxes and money transfers.

Q: What do the prices include?
A: Normally the prices only include the cost of the course unless otherwise specified.

Q: Are travel and airport transfers included in the price?
A: No. The cost of travel is not included as students come from all over the world. (Travel costs for a student from Brazil, for example, will be significantly different from those of a student from Spain and so are not included in the prices. Airport transfers can usually be arranged for you by the centre.

Have you got a question?
If you have a question about any aspect of a course or centre, please use the form below to send it to us using the form below.